Chinese Name: 络石藤
Latin Name: Caulis Trachelospermi
This herb is the dried foliaceous stem and leaves of Trachelospermum jasminoides Lem. of the family Apocynaceae. It is grown in all parts of China, collected in the late autumn, cleaned, dried in the sun, and cut into small sections. This is an evergreen, tropical, apocynaceous, climbing plant.
The herb was traditionally used as a restorative, tonic, and as a medicine especially appropriate for the elderly. Chinese star jasmine is now used as an antirheumatic and antiarthritic agent to treat rheumatalgia in joints and muscles, and difficulty with bending or stretching of limbs. This herb is also used to dissipate pathogenic Heat in blood and to relieve swelling.
Use of Chinese Star Jasmine in TCM
Bitter in taste, and slightly col, it acts on the heart, kidney, and liver meridians.
Effects and Medicinal Uses
- Dispels pathogenic Wind and invigorates the meridians: for the treatment of arthralgia, Chinese star jasmine is used with mulberry twig, siler, red peony, gentiana root, large-leaf gentian root, lonicera stem, and earthworms. It is combined with chaenomeles, atractylodes, pubescent angelic root, and cooked coix seed for arthralgia of muscles, tendons, and bones, and difficulty stretching the arms and legs.
- Removes pathogenic Heat from the blood and relieves inflammation:
- For the treatment of fever, a swollen and sore throat, and hoarseness, Chinese star jasmine is combined with platycodon root, belamcanda, licorice root, and gardenia.
- To treat sores, carbuncles, furuncles, swelling, and general infections, it is used with lonicera flower, dandelion, and wild chrysanthemum.
- Treats acute laryngitis. A decoction is used for gargling and oral administration.
In a decoction of 6 to 15 g, or 30 g if the fresh herb is used.
People with diarrhea should not use this herb.
Side Effects and Toxicity
No undesirable effects or toxicity at the suggested therapeutic dose were reported in classical Chinese materia medica.
Chinese star jasmine contains aretiin, tracheloside, matairesinoside, nortracheloside, dambonilol, beta-sitosteryl glucoside, and cymarose.
Chinese star jasmine is anti-inflammatory, antiallergenic, antimicrobial, cardiotonic, and hypotensive.